Contents Insurance

Home contents insurance covers the cost of replacing your belongings in your home if they are damaged, destroyed or stolen.

As a general rule, your ‘contents’ are the items that you would take with if you moved home or things that would fall out if you picked your property up and turned it upside down.

These include things like:


Beds, sofas, wardrobes and dining tables and chairs


Cutlery, cookware, microwaves and kettles


Video games, toys, DVDs and CDs

Soft furnishings

Cushions, curtains and bedding


TVs, laptops and game consoles

Clothes and jewellery, ornaments and antiques etc…

Contents insurance can be bought as a standalone policy or as part of a combined home insurance policy with buildings insurance. If you need to make a home insurance claim, your home insurance provider will settle this on either a ‘new-for-old’ or ‘indemnity’ basis.

New-for-old cover means that the home insurer will pay for a brand-new product, of equivalent value, if your insured item is damaged or stolen. 

Indemnity cover considers wear and tear on the items that you claim for, which reduces the pay-out you’ll get. For example, while it may cost £850 to replace your sofa, you may only get £200 once its age has been factored in.

Personal possessions cover – covers your portable belongings while you’re outside of your home and even on holiday. Items like your: Mobile phone, Tablet and Laptop PC.

Most insurers will cover your home on the premise that it will not be left unattended for more than 30 days at a time. If your home will be left unoccupied for more than 30 days you may need specialist cover, Advantage can arrange this for you. 

Celebrating more 5-star reviews than any other independent broker in Bristol!

Contact us today to find out why we've received over 400 hundred 5-star Google reviews

You have Successfully Subscribed!